5 Ways California Citrus can Improve your Health
Citrus Strong is dedicated to the health and safety of the people of California and our nation. That’s why, for over 125 years, our family farmers have been producing fruit of superior quality and safety. Ongoing research clearly shows that making citrus fruit part of your lifelong eating habits is good for you in many ways – and not just vitamin C.
Oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are all known for their high content of vitamin C. In fact, just one orange supplies a full day’s requirement. While vitamin C is an essential nutrient that promotes strong gums, healthy body tissues and a vigorous immune system, the other essential nutrients and health benefits of citrus shouldn’t be overlooked.
Citrus is packed with TONS of powerful antioxidants and vitamins – making it one of the healthiest (and yummiest) fruits! Here are 5 reasons why citrus is one of California’s favorite superfoods:
- Flavonoids: For citrus varieties to get their bright colors and bitter taste, California citrus is packed with flavonoids – a nutrient family that reduces inflammation and potentially eliminates carcinogens and cancer cells from your body. Citrus flavonoids also play an important role in the treatment of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and obesity. TIP: Eating just one orange may supply up to five times more flavonoids than you would get from a glass of juice!
- Folic Acid: According to the New York Times, folic acid is one of the most “luscious micronutrients” available. While many fruits contain it, citrus ranks the highest at 50 micrograms. Folic acid, also known as vitamin B9, is powerful in the prevention of fetal deformities, Alzheimer’s disease and several types of cancer.
- Thiamin: Thiamin, more commonly referred to as vitamin B1, is rich in citrus fruits and is vitally important to many body functions, including our nervous system and metabolic system, which helps our body stay energized. Most notably, thiamin helps improve the body’s ability to withstand stressful conditions.
- Fiber: Citrus fruits are naturally packed with a lot of water and fiber, boosting weight loss and lowering the risk of heart disease. Of all the citrus varieties, grapefruit has a definite advantage. A 2006 Journal of Medicinal Food study found that people who were put on an exercise plan for 12 weeks and ate half a fresh grapefruit every day dropped an average of 3.5 pounds over the duration of the study.
- Limonoids: This special class of antioxidants is abundant in California’s citrus fruits and may help guard against colon, lung, breast, skin and stomach cancers. Researchers have found that citrus contains a higher concentration of limonoids than the vitamin C that citrus is most known for.
Reap these 5 health benefits and boost your immune system by adding California citrus to your diet.